Recipe & picture courtesy of Good Housekeeping
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 2 medium zucchini (about 1 lb total), cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 package (26 oz) frozen large cheese ravioli
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 oz lean ground beef (90% fat free)
- 1 jar (26 oz) tomato-basil sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line cookie sheet with paper towels. Grease 1 quart ceramic baking dish.
- Heat large covered saucepot of water to boiling over high heat. Add zucchini and cook 5 minutes. With tongs or slotted spoon, remove zucchini to prepared cookie sheet to drain. Return water to boiling. Add ravioli and cook until ravioli rise to the top.
- Meanwhile, in 3 qt saucepan, heat 2 tsp oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 8-10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned; transfer to small bowl. In same saucepan, in remaining 1 tsp oil, cook beef over medium high heat 3-4 minutes or until browned, breaking up beef with side of spoon. Stir in tomato sauce and onion; heat to boiling.
- Drain ravioli; return to saucepot. Add meat sauce to ravioli in saucepot and stir until combined.
- In prepared baking dish, arrange half of zucchini; top with half of ravioli, then half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. Repeat layering all ingredients. Bake 20 minutes or until hot in the center and golden and bubbly on top.
Notes & Comments: I added cooked ground turkey (or beef/chicken) to the sauce mixture to add more flavor to this. It’s a very simple meal to make and I love that instead of lasagna noodles you use zucchini. This dish has a great flavor and is a huge hit with everyone when I make it.