Recipe & picture courtesy of Rachael Ray
Makes 6 Servings
Prep 30 min
Bake 40 min
- One 9-inch frozen deep-dish pie shell
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Using a fork, prick the inside of the pie shell, then bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven; lower the temperature to 325°.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring often, until crisp, about 5 minutes; using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper to the bacon fat in the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until the onion is golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer the onion to the pie shell.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the half-and-half; stir in the cheese and the cooked bacon. Pour the mixture into the pie shell. Bake until set, about 40 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Notes & Comments: This is really easy to make and it turned out amazing. I added red & yellow bell pepper to the onion mix as well. It said it would make one pie but I had enough filling to make two – I also had jumbo eggs so I used 5 instead of 6. I’m glad I ended up making two because Jason chowed through the first one, leaving the second one for leftovers today. I also used marbled cheddar cheese instead of Swiss cheese. A Quiche is like an omelette – add whatever you prefer in yours and you can’t go wrong!